Most all homeowners know that hidden dangers can lurk throughout a house. From hidden mold to water pipe contaminants, there are many unseen domestic elements that can cause illness. But perhaps the greatest danger is the gas that cannot be seen or smelled: carbon monoxide. Produced any time a fossil fuel burns, this “silent killer” takes the lives of more than 4,000 people each year. In addition to installing a carbon monoxide detector, here are four tips to prevent a carbon monoxide accident.
Improper fume exhaustion is a common problem in poorly maintained chimneys. In many cases, carbon monoxide poisoning has been a deadly result. If you haven’t looked into chimney inspections washington dc, you should do so immediately.
Check All Vented Appliances
Vented appliances are those that send combustion pollutants outside the home. They include gas clothes dryers, furnaces, and hot water heaters. If these appliances are not properly installed or are poorly maintained, a carbon monoxide leak in the home can occur.
Use Caution With Space Heaters
Utilize space heaters only when someone is awake to keep an eye on them. Make sure there is sufficient airflow through the room in which the space heater is in use.
Never Run Your Car in the Garage
If you have an attached garage, don’t leave a vehicle running there. Even when the garage door is open, exhaust fumes can seep inside the house. You should also be careful outside the home. For example, if your vehicle has a tailgate, be sure to open windows anytime you drive with the tailgate down. If you don’t, carbon monoxide can be sucked into the vehicle.
If you think that you may have overlooked carbon monoxide dangers in your home, don’t wait in taking the necessary steps to prevent a tragedy.